Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Just Send Waffles...

Dear Friends,

It's funny how winter both comforts us in layers and layers of clothing yet taunts us with the anxiety of half-naked bathing suit weather to come.

For those of you who have made goals for the new year, or just struggle to maintain a fitness routine, let's just take a minute to applaud you.  To clap for the freezing runs, the heavy weights, the tired feet...

How winter makes you want to feel...
L, source ; R, source
Last December I made the choice to give up soda, eat cleaner, and start back regularly at the gym.  I don't know what prompted this desire for change, but I thank that mystery motivation every day.  Today is day 57 without sugary-yummy cola --- and I've clocked in 1,724 minutes of sweating/dying/ridiculousness at the gym.  I'm learning to crave strength + endurance, and somewhere in the midst of all of this, I started having fun.


A part of my attempts at a healthier state of living was to find fitness inspiration.  One thing I noticed right away was that 99%  of fitness posters and images online show men and women with "ideal" bodies...and quotes like "Rome wasn't built in a day" tattooed over a lovely Beyonce-ful butt.  Women with perfectly perky bits working out in spandex. But this isn't what anyone looks like exercising, is it?  We sweat, we get red in the face, we huff and puff...and as lovely as Beyonce's bum is, I'd just be happy to run 3.2 miles in March without dying.

I finally filtered together a board of inspiration quotes and recipes for fruit-infused waters and fitness tips, and my favorite photograph was at the above left: "Today I GET TO workout".  I'm realizing how very fortunate I am to have the ability to get out there and use the body I have at any level.

I also read a memoir by food-blogger Andie Mitchell, a woman who lost over 135 pounds in her twenties and realized how large a role food addiction and eating disorders played in her body battle.  I gobbled it up in one day, touched by her honest revelations about food and how it had become an addiction, her main source for dulling the aches and pains that life inevitably brings.

L: "It Was Me All Along"
R: Andie Mitchell's blog, "Can You Stay for Dinner?"
I've sat with friends, sharing stories of how we find motivation within...of tools we've found useful, fun new classes, evening runs.  Even more powerful, stories of struggling with body image and battling shame.

All of this has inspired me to continue making changes.  To pursuing new recipes, to push my body in new ways, to allow myself moments of weakness and temptation.  It's also created a desire to be open with struggles I've kept to myself.  Maybe to even write a little more about the journey, and I hope, to hear about yours.

So friends, though this has nothing at all to do with vintage or home decor, let's talk about things we've learned at the gym (or treadmill at home, hiking paths, cycling trails, or yoga studio).

P.S. If you'd ever like to try a new class with someone who's willing to look quite silly, give me a call!

Until Soon,
Sara XX

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought to share? Please jot it down, I'd love to hear!