Thursday, April 17, 2014

Farm-Fresh Easter Eggs

Dear Friends,

As a former city-dweller, fresh eggs still hold immense beauty for me...in fact, it wasn't until a few years ago that I tasted my first brown egg.  Armed with a dozen eggs from the Farmers Market, I decided to try embellishing my Easter Eggs in natural ways.  If you have little ones, this simple DIY could easily follow a nature walk with wildflowers, gathered feathers, etc.

As a side-note, thank you for your continued patience as I have had some odd hours at the shop.  These last few weeks have caught up to me and left me a bit under the weather --- but we're so thankful to see continued progress with my sister's health.  Looking forward to going home for Easter and spending it with my family ...going to try and get creative with an Easter celebration in the hospital.  <3

Wishing you and yours a very Happy, Blessed Easter.

Until Soon,
Sara


DIY: Farm-Fresh Easter Eggs


Materials:
-Fresh eggs
-Needle or thumbtack
-Toothpick
-Drinking straw
-Assorted twine/ribbon/wire
-Feathers

Step 1:
Gently make two openings at the top & base of the egg.  Use your toothpick to gently make a larger opening & break up the yoke.  Take a straw and place at smaller of two holes & blow egg into a bowl.  Set aside raw eggs for scrambling/french-toast-making!  Wash emptied eggs in warm water & let air dry
Step 2:
Lay selection of feathers & twine, and pair with egg of your choice.  Tie & attach feathers or foliage to eggs.  Display your eggs in a bowl on the table & enjoy!
As shells are empty, there is no need to hide these Easter Eggs in the refridgerator!
I mixed in a bit of gold wire among the twine & yarn.

Most of all, I love seeing the shell underneath, with all the millions of variations, speckles, & shades of color.  I hope you enjoyed!  See the recipe below for foolproof scrambled eggs to use every bit of your project.  xx



Foolproof Scrambled Eggs:
Everyone has their own technique for scrambling eggs --- but in case you're looking to try a new method, this is my favorite way to make them!
-Heat pan over high until hot, then turn to medium-high heat.  
-Lightly scramble eggs in a bowl (not mixing yoke & white completely).  Don't use any water or milk in your mixture!  I've found it dilutes the eggs & can make them watery
-Put a generous pat of salted butter & melt to coat bottom of pan well (real butter is the best with eggs, I use olive oil or cooking spray with other things, but definitely not eggs!)
-Pour eggs into pan, and don't stop stirring eggs with a rubber spatula until they are almost firm (constant stirring keeps the eggs from drying)
-Turn off heat & flip eggs two or three times & season to taste




(My favorite Easter Hymn)

The Old Rugged Cross
  1. On a hill far away stood an old rugged cross,
    The emblem of suff’ring and shame;
    And I love that old cross where the dearest and best
    For a world of lost sinners was slain.
    • So I’ll cherish the old rugged cross,
      Till my trophies at last I lay down;
      I will cling to the old rugged cross,
      And exchange it some day for a crown.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have a thought to share? Please jot it down, I'd love to hear!