Thursday, February 6, 2014

Adoption Love: Part 2

Dear Friends,

I am writing late night/early morning, unable to think of sleep.  Adoption is on my mind, and fueled (and truly touched) by your response to yesterday's post, I am jumping to share two more stories of families-in-the-making.

But first, I wanted to answer one other question I am asked quite frequently ---
Q: As an adopted child, do you plan on adopting yourself?
A: Yes and no!  I truly don't see one way of building a family as being the "best", or the "right way".  I have loved watching friends walk through pregnancy, and celebrated each birth with laughter and tears of joy.  I can't say with 100% certainty.  But certainly, adoption will always have a big place in my heart.


My beautiful big sister, carting me around in her baby-doll carriage. 

When I was adopted, a multi-racial family was still quite surprising.  Perhaps one of my parents was...but no ---there were two fair-skinned adults, and a second little girl with bright blue eyes.  We were confusing, to say the least!  But being so, well, different taught me so much about my family & myself.  Adoption came up in every day conversation.  As a small child, I quickly learned to talk with people.  To really listen to their questions, and to give heartfelt responses.



Today, I'd very much like to introduce you to the Mills!



What a beautiful family.  Now, Lauren & her husband Adrian are eagerly waiting for a little daughter, all the way from the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Just as I appear so unlike my family, this precious little one will not share her Mom or Dad's eye or hair color.  But she will slurp bowls of cereal around the breakfast table, have living room sleepovers giggling with her big sister, and receive hugs and kisses from her Mommy and Daddy before bedtime. When she's grown, she will rush home for family emergencies and hold her mother's hand.  She'll call her brothers to remind them of holiday plans.  They are, and will be her family, in every meaning of the word.

When Lauren and I spoke several months ago, we talked about this unique aspect of their adoption process.  I shared that even though my mother and I will never share DNA, we are so much alike.

I love the poster below, from Lauren's personal blog.  After years of waiting for the right time, a little girl has become available.





Beautiful, personal words from Lauren:


Friends:
If this post a few months back was the one I waited 7 years to write, well, today’s post is right there with it. News I’ve dreamed of being able to share one day. Well, today’s the day to share with you.
Just a few weeks back, Adrian and I received a referral for a precious little girl, just under two years old. A child we believe we’ve been waiting and praying for for seven years. Yes, even before her birth, we prayed for the child we did not know.

It’s absolutely wild and strange and wonderful that after so many years of praying to adopt, of wondering who and where and when and how, we now have a face, a name. I cannot type a word of this post without weeping, just knowing how very long the Lord has been tilling and sowing our hearts for adoption and for this child.

Oh, friends, He is faithful.

Over the past few weeks, there has been joy, but I’ve already grieved so much too, for her losses, for her small life that has seen so much hurt.  

We cannot celebrate the joy without too mourning the losses that come with adoption. And I feel that deep in my heart most days.

But oh the ache to get her home. I cannot express it in words except to say that a piece of me is living across a big wide ocean and, at the moment, there is literally nothing I can do but pray. For Congo, the wait is longer on this side of the journey, anywhere from nine to 18 months from referral to travel. It about kills me to think about the wait ahead, not because I am impatient (though I am!), but because of what it means for our little one. Please pray for our sweet girl in the wait.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All I can think is wow.  What faithfulness.  This little girl has been waited for, waited for a very long time.  How sweeter still will the day be when they are all finally together.


To learn more about the Congo, their adoption, and to follow along with them, visit Lauren's amazing blog, Mercy Ink.

Ways to support the Mills family ----

-Lauren is a very talented & creative artist!  A portion of all sales from her online store go towards their adoption fees.
-Leave encouragement on their blog.  When there is such a long wait, support is sustaining and uplifting.
-Anyone can give directly towards their adoption expenses here.


With love,
Sara xx



4 comments:

  1. Sara:
    Thank you so, so much for sharing your heart and also our story. Your voice is so valuable and appreciated! Love that you're sharing your heart and thoughts on this. Thank you so much for sharing about adoption! :)
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lauren! It was such an honor to share a little piece of your story. <3

      Delete
  2. Your story is so special, Sara! It really has made you into the beautiful woman you are today! And what an amazing family the Mills are!! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruby! Thank you so much, they are truly --- the years they are willing to wait are so inspiring. Hope to see you & catch up sometime soon. xx

      Delete

Have a thought to share? Please jot it down, I'd love to hear!