Friday, April 19, 2013

On sorrow, on hope.

Dear Friends,

It seems as though painful things will never stop happening-----so many questions, so much loss.  What is happening in our world?  Why is there so much hurting?  Will it ever stop?

We can't comprehend the tragedies that have happened this week.  The Boston explosions, the death of an innocent child, the anniversary of the Virginia Tech shootings, multiple suicides, the Newton group who was again faced with tragedy at the end of the Boston Marathon....

We are a world in need of rescue.  We are a world in need of love.

I cannot understand why these tragedies have happened.  How can I hold onto faith?

Only because I know what God has done.  I know all he has given to me.  I was parentless, he gave me a family.  I was hungry, he gave me food.  I was penniless, He gave me all I needed.  I exist only because of His love and mercy.

I share the following in the hope that it will bring comfort.

My sister has been hospitalized three times in the past several years with kidney failure and congestive heart failure.

I vividly remember the first hospitalization, sitting with my parents, clinging to each other, desperate for her to recover.  Watching my Mom and Dad experience almost losing their daughter.  Wishing for more time.

I don't think any of us uttered any coherent prayers or thoughts the entire month she was in the hospital.  Just, "save her, save her, save her".  During one of those days, I found Isaiah 40, titled "The LORD has no equal."

Who else has held the oceans in his hand?
Who has measured off the heavens with his fingers?
Who else knows the weight of the earth or has
weighed the mountains and hills on a scale? 

Look up into the heavens.  Who created all the stars?
He brings them out like an army, one after another,
calling each by its name.  Because of his great power
and incomparable strength, not a single one is missing.

How can you say the Lord does not see your troubles?
How can you say God ignores your rights? 
Have you never heard?  Have you never understood?
The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth.
He never grows weak or weary, no one can measure
the depths of his understanding.

Today, I feel so helpless.  What can I do?  The only thing any of us can do right now is love more deeply, serve better, bring as much joy into the lives of those around us.  Life is made sweet enough to bear because of love.


With so much love,
Sara









2 comments:

Have a thought to share? Please jot it down, I'd love to hear!